Building Information Modeling (BIM) is an intelligent 3D model-based process that aims to achieve savings through collaboration and visualization of building components early in the design process. The 3D process gives Architecture, Engineering and Construction professionals the insight and tools to efficiently plan, design, collaborate, and make changes and modifications to the actual construction process.
The Value of BIM
Over 60% of major capital programs fail to meet cost and schedule targets.* Project delays and cost overruns are often caused by poor communication, human error and confusion over the latest document. BIM software provides a collaborative building design solution, where analysis can be run frequently offering team members a better understanding of the construction project, that can be implemented by contractors and subcontractors.
Devices for an Effective BIM Deployment:
BIM projects are becoming standard, but are also more complex, placing significant demands on both hardware and software requirements.
- Consider acquiring new workstations - ideally running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, which now supports devices with up to 4 CPUs (previously limited by Win 10 Pro to 2 CPUs). These machines provide an enormous amount of power to run advanced workloads, especially those with high performance configurations including server-grade Intel® Xeon processors, NVIDIA Quadro® graphics, and huge amounts of memory.
- Displays with the right specs: many BIM users multitask with other applications, and will therefore use 2 or more displays with their workstation. But don't just focus on the resolution and size of these displays; look at the pixel response time (which makes animations appear smoother), contrast ratio (how 'sharp' images will look) and colour gamut (how many colours it can display). For most BIM applications, a pixel response time of 5-10ms is good enough, contrast ratio should be at least 1000:1 and colour gamut above 90% is preferred. Consider also ergonomic factors.. will the operative be using it for long hours through the day? If so, the simple tilt and pivot adjustment of most displays might not be good enough; consider mounting it on an extendable arm which allows a greater degree of control over both angle and height.
- Hardware enabled Multi-Factor Authentication(MFA) - with your devices carrying sensitive data, it is mandatory to ensure that your device is almost non-hackable. Intel® Authenticate technology, built into the platform of some Lenovo systems, grounds multi-factor authentication into the hardware itself, isolated from the operating system.
- ISV certifications for higher performance and reliability - ISV certification provides assurance that a workstation and its various components work seamlessly with leading industry applications, enabling users to be as productive as possible. It means that the workstation has been thoroughly tested with a particular software application. In some cases certain software features are locked and unavailable unless running on an ISV certified device.
* Value of BIM for Owners: Save Time and Money During the Building Lifecycle, Autodesk 2014