Digital technologies are changing every aspect of education, from how administrative staff work to how educators teach and the ways students learn. Six key areas where the impact of digital transformation (DX) can be seen in the education sector are:
- Using Augmented / Virtual / Mixed reality environments to support experiential learning initiatives
- Increasing deployment of special endpoint devices like convertibles, tablets, chromebooks, moving away from BYOD policies
- Redesigning learning spaces to enhance collaboration
- Leveraging AI to provide outside the classroom support to students in-case of unavailability of teachers
- Enabling personalized learning by understanding the student's capabilities, strengths, pace of studying
- Offering gamification of courses to enable higher retention and engagement
DX is a big undertaking; ensuring right IT infrastructure solutions, networking solutions, collaboration applications and so on. Although these are critical for any DX initiative, end-user computing devices are equally important.
Digital Transformation and Computing Devices
Ensuring that students, teachers, administrators have the right tools with the right features, will be crucial to your DX success. Consider three key objectives for endpoint devices in your overall DX strategy:
- Enable ANYWHERE learning: Teaching and learning is not restricted to the classroom. Today, more institutions are encouraging their students to learn at their own pace. This means that irrespective of the students location they should be able to access their curriculum from anywhere and collaborate with teachers and other students on the go.
- Enable ANYTIME learning: With the growth of internet-based learning and training, there is no lack of available content and learning materials for students. Equipping students with the right endpoint devices, preloaded with the required learning apps helps the institution know what kind of content and material students are consuming. This in turn will help institutions not only hone their curriculum but also deliver effective personalized learning experiences.
- Enable ANY-WAY learning: With collaborative learning becoming a key trend, 2-in-1 or convertible devices are witnessing a steady increase in the education sector. This is primarily because convertibles give students and teachers the flexibility of a tablet while retaining the power and performance of a laptop. The tablet mode is ideal on field trips, to take notes or to collaborate conveniently using the touch screen, while the laptop mode is best in the classroom, to support learning and working on projects.